Thursday, January 12, 2012

3rd from Last Unicorn


From July 2010 until about June 2011, I tried an experiment: No internet in the studio. The results of this were mixed -- for one, I had no distractions from my work, but for another, things like checking email and blogging new work became a hassle.

Consequently, I didn't do much blogging during that time. And so it happens that every once in a while, I realize that a piece I did during the internet dark ages is actually pretty good, and should probably be posted on the blog.

Such is the case with the Last Unicorn covers #4-6.

Today, I'm posting the 4th cover in the series, along with the drawing. I'll post the other two in the next few weeks, as well.

Take care,

Frank

3 comments:

dorobo said...

Awesome cover! internet dark ages eh? good idea. I wish I could do that to my self :)

Rendez said...

Really nice job in this cover Frank! Question though: why did you decide to obscure the bull so much in the final? The thumbnail sketch reads pretty quickly. I like both versions, I was just wondering about your thought process for that decision. In my own work I've been trying to work with the idea of "how much do I want to give away, and how much do I want the audience to work for it?"

Avalon said...

I stumbled across this piece on Tumblr the other day and tracked it back to this blog because it's possibly the most beautiful artistic rendering of that book I've ever seen. I adore that novel so much. Do you sell prints? Because I want a print. I want a print in my house, like, yesterday.