Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Texas Monthly - Katrina


Recently I finished up this "comic" feature for Texas Monthly.

Here are the two versions. The first is my original take, the 2nd is a brighter version a the request of the Art Director, who wanted it more colorful.


Original Version:





Revised Version:


Though I think both versions look good, I'm partial to the first, which has a more serious tone about it.

I'm proud of both versions but I felt like the desaturated version challenged me more as an artist; I was working with a different color scheme than I've ever tried, and much less saturation.

One of my favorite parts of these pieces was the interior shot of the airplane. I have never really felt comfortable doing large environments (though I don't shy away from them), but on this one it really seemed to come together.




The challenging part was working with value patterns to lead the eye to the focal point. You can see from the example above I tried to put the main figures near the areas of most contrast in the chairs, as well as giving their faces more readable silhouettes than other figures in the piece.

When I went in to color it, I pushed the most saturated parts to the edges of the panel to get the viewer to look at those other parts of the panel, and to balance out the colors for both the page on its own and the spread as a whole.

Thanks for reading,


f.
p.s. on a side note, some people left comments on the previous week's entry that were never published, or were delayed by several days. I don't know what the issue is, but they appear to be working normally this week.

10 comments:

david santos said...

Excellent work!!!
You are Master!!!
Have a nice Day.

iwasink said...

Great work Frank!
I especially love the close up portraits on the bottom of the third page.
Wonderful stuff!

Steve said...

sickkkkk frank. i gotta read this over again i just skimmed through it since i went to show a friend your work and i was like "CRAP HE UPDATED AGAIN "
-steve

Oliver Dominguez said...

Great Work Frank!! I love the original version better. You could focus on the illustration more than as for the revised version the type attracts the audience more. But all in all there awesome!

best,

Oliver

Dominic Bugatto said...

Solid work as usual.

I'm partial to your original version myself though I understand the AD's concerns.

Alina Chau said...

AWESOME pages!

Óscar del Amo said...

Congratulations is an excellent job.

Kyle T. Webster said...

That opening spread is excellent, Frank. The interior shot of the plane is a design gem, too.

Kyle

Griselda Sastrawinata said...

woo hoo... playboy!!! congrats frankster!

looka said...

So there did the comments go! This Blogger network - it probably was having a bad hangover from pre-Olympics post rush?
Also, it feels kinda weird having left two messages with basically the same content...

Wonderful story, greatly drawn and described - So good to read!

best,
Simon