Friday, May 23, 2008

Leyendecker Exhibition


On Wednesday at the Society of Illustrators in NY an exhibition of J.C. Leyendecker original paintings opened to the public. I was there for the opening and it blew my mind. I all but ignored the people I know because I was busy staring at the work in amazemement. I plan on going back this weekend and probably a couple other times over the next few weeks to see it again because I can't stop thinking about it.

J.C. Leyendecker was Norman Rockwell's idol back in the early part of the 20th century. He's got 100% of the skills PLUS a kick-ass design sense and and a very strong sense of style. He's the GTA 4 of illustrators.

Make time to check it out. The show is up until the 12 of July and is called "Americans Abroad," and features several other good golden age illustrators (but no one in the league of Mr. Leyendecker).

Here's a link to learn more


all the best,

f.

10 comments:

Edward Kinsella III said...

Your GTA4 comparison is spot on!! Great new work Frank!

Kyle T. Webster said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
mackenzie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
mackenzie said...

Thanks for the heads up about the show. Your work is really amazing. It is an amazing thing to see great concepts come together with exquisite draftsmanship.

Joshua James said...

I'M SO JEALOUS!!!!!

I saw the one here in Cali that is owned by the Stockton museum. My friend and I stared at them for about 4 hours.

-Joshua

Francis Vallejo said...

ill be up there the 17th...I'm stoked to see the show!!!

tim b said...

I saw some of Leyendecker's originals at a show at the Dahesh Museum in NYC a while back... total snap, crackle and pop painting. Gorgeous. Haven't seen this show yet, but am planning to.

Thanks for the reminder... love your work!

Steve said...

man I wish I was back in the city to see it :/ Maybe next semester I'll track down some of them. I laughed a lot at the gta4 comparison. Personally cod4 is better though :x

Janb said...

oh no! i was just i new york for 10 days and totally forgot about this! well, i had fun anyway. thanks for the reads!

Stephen-James said...

Dear Frank
luv your pix! Do you use reference or do you draw straight out of your head?
XX