Tuesday, April 01, 2008

SEX!








A few weeks ago,
Penthouse called me and asked if I was available to illustrate a short story by Saskia Walker for the May issue of the popular men's magazine.

I've had a couple of assignments before where I tried to go in a more sexual direction, but art directors have always opted for "safer" sketches.

With Penthouse it's safe to say that I couldn't really think of any ideas that would be too much for them.



It was so much fun to do this assignment, I really enjoyed exploring that side of my artistic personality a little bit, since one of my biggest influences artistically is an erotic artist from France in the early 20th century named Mario Tauzin.





I first stumbled upon Mario Tauzin's work at the Erotic Museum in Berlin, Germany. Most of the work they had there was Japanese Shunga, which is totally over the top and exciting to look at, but Tauzin's drawings were like nothing I'd seen before; they completely blew my mind. The fact that they were erotica didn't really factor in to how much I liked the way he put lines down but it definitely added a level of interest. I own one print of his that I bought on Ebay shortly after returning from my trip, and a hard to find book called "The Devil's Whisper," which collects about thirty of the prints I saw in Berlin plus erotic poetry by a writer named Henri Breton.

Some day maybe it would be cool to do a series of erotic pieces similar to what Tauzin did, but I'm not quite ready for that, and not interested in doing it for an illustration assignment.

Thanks for reading,



-frank

10 comments:

Dominic Bugatto said...

Love these Frank. Very sensual.

Erik Petri said...

Its nice to someone who take so much pleasure in his work. A dirty mind put on paper with clean lines... very sensual Frank

Steve said...

awesome job with the concept, I loved the sorta club dance feel to them. I also am always interested in your color pallets and use of flat colors that still compliment depth within your clean line work. good job!

Jason Claus said...

saucy.

TROPICAL TOXIC said...

so good... fantastic liquid anatomy

t.

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I'm offended. Outraged, even.

-JT

Marcos said...

mmm... nice! :)

jamesjean said...

your draftsmanship kills me

josh said...

you are a bad bad boy...

bjarne-h said...

wow, cool colors and great line work

Bjarne