Thursday, January 03, 2008

Odd Man Out 2007

Happy 2008! Last year was amazing for me. I learned a lot about myself, about the business of illustration, and how to cram lots of stuff into a teeny tiny East Village apartment. It's been real good.
Looking back, I realized there were a lot of really cool jobs I did last year that I didn't get to blog about. Below are six illustrations that just didn't quite make it to the front of the pack. Until now!
On a side note: I hope you've all given some time to think about and actually write down your New Year's resolutions. One of mine is to put an RSS feed somewhere on this blog. Unfortunately, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject, so if anyone can help, please email me and let me know.

Take care,

Frank




clockwise from top left:
Runner's WorldImage for an article with advice on running a 5k.
Security Magazine A full page about trends in surveillance technologies.
Esquire Russia A recent job wherein I was asked to illustrate completely in pencil. Portrait of the famous Russian explorer Fedor Konyukhov.
Popular Mechanics One man's rant about how confusing a lot of technologies are.
The New Yorker Simple vignette for the film "Hitman" that came out a short while back.
Turner Classic MoviesI worked with One Trick Pony to come up with this image for the 1920's classic film about the occult, Haxan.

12 comments:

Dominic Bugatto said...

Great batch o pics. Congrats on the banner year.

pk said...

hey frank,

cool stuff man.
i just discovered that you started a new blog.
very inspiring and good to know that you are doing good.

Erwin Madrid said...

Hi Frank,
It's me Erwin, Aree's friend. How's it going? Your blog is freakin awesome! It's starting to be one of my favorites. The fat couple making out reminds me of some drawings in your sketch book that one time you showed me. Hilarious man.
Once again you have top notch drawing skills. One of the best I've ever seen.

Have a good New Year!

Dustin dArnault said...

Hey
I have to say I am very impressed with your recent stuff. These drawings are f*#@ bad ass.
Happy new year!

-DD

Oskar said...

I absolutely love these!
You have a great ability to draw great characters.
Just BEAUTIFUL!!!

-Oskar

Frank said...

Hey Guys, thanks for the comments, they make me just want to do better and better work.


-frank

Jed said...

A lot of strong work here. I like the runners (a lot of depth, though maybe the crop could have been less tight to the frame on the right, nice use of blacks though) , the shoplifting image, the monk having his way with that woman's neck. It's also nice to see your raw pencils.

Eli said...

Well done Frank. Your work has just gotten stronger and stronger. I'm glad you were picked up by Rapp too. You really have made a huge impact on contemporary illustration. Thanks for showing us all these awesome pieces. I look forward to all to come in the new year.

Jed said...

Just saw your recent piece for the article about the movie "Orphanage" in the recent issue of the New Yorker. I think this is one piece where your subdued palette is really used effectively. A really dramatic piece!

Mike Stanislavsky said...

thanks for posting these, your skills are amazing, so few good drawing out there these days

joe suitor said...

ha that guy on the beach is amazing

Name: Elsa said...

I saw the New Yorker one in David Luce's class, he seems to be quite fond of your work.