Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Runner's World Germany

Hello and happy holidays!



Recently I finished these three pieces for Grit Br├╝ggemann, an art director from Germany who I worked with before for Best Life Magazine.

A while ago she called me with an assignment to do a full page and two 2/3 page images for an upcoming issue of Runners World that she was art directing. Images of people running is one of my specialties and Grit is pretty hands-off and easy to work with, so I accepted.

The article was about things that annoy people while running. While I can't imagine people who go running all the time to be high-strung enough to get annoyed about anything in particular, I did caricatures of every-day people I see around the city in these crazy situations. They were a lot of fun to illustrate and quite a challenge, but I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Thanks for reading.

F.

8 comments:

Jed said...

The dog piece in particular is really stunning--would like to see you get a little more adventurous with your palette though. That doesn't mean the super saturated colors that are popular these days, but you do tend to stick to a lot of reds and browns. Drawings are outstanding though.

Francis Vallejo said...

inspiring!! these last couple of posts have been very high quality!!!

do you use a nib for your inks?

cheers!

Frank said...

Jed: You're absolutely right about the colors, I struggle with them all the time so they evolve slowly.

Francis: Thanks! I use a Hunt 101 nib when I ink my drawings. Thanks for the question.


f.

Jed said...

A good way to force yourself into expanding your palette that I've found is to take a painting you like, say an old impressionist painting, and just steal the color palette outright! You know what they say about stealing from the best...

SalamunicArt said...

Frank,
Once again ..your work is stunning.
I'm really enjoying the new ways you find of abstracting your figures in each illustration.
Also, your colors are truly incredible. It seems that you are getting better with every single post. Very inspiring!! :-)
If you don't mind, I'd love you to check out some of my work: www.salamunicart.webs.com and I have also a blog which you can access by clicking on the name above. As you can tell, my influences are all over the place ;-)...I still have not found a way of developing that Niche..any suggestions?
thanks buddy, and keep crankin'!
-Tin

M said...

The people look amazingly convincing, like the strangers you encounter everyday. The square compositions are great too.

Dominic Bugatto said...

Great pieces Frank , love the drawing chops.

Name: Elsa said...

Frank, I love that little chihuahua thrown in there, it completes the piece.